Table of Contents
Estimated Reading Time: 20 Minutes
Required Permissions: Announcements
- Log into your site's admin panel.
- Click on the Content tab at the top of the page, then on the Announcement Builder button.
- Click the New Announcement button in the upper right of the page.
- Fill out the New Announcement form with the options you want for your new announcement pop-up.
- Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
About the Announcement Builder
The Announcement Builder tool allows you to add announcements, also known as modal pop-ups, to your Dealer Spike website. These announcements appear as pop-up windows inside the user's browser tab on top of the page they're activated on, similar to Leadpop or the form pop-ups on inventory pages. They're great for getting the user's attention when you want to direct them to a particular page or let them know important information like a weather-related closure or holiday hours. This guide will walk you through the available options and show how to create an announcement.
- Start by signing into your site's Admin Panel. If you need instructions on signing in, click here.
- Next click on the Content tab from the top toolbar, and then on the Announcement Builder button on the panel that slides down. If you don't see the Announcement Builder button here, you may need to reach out to Technical Support to get the Announcement Builder added to your site, or the user account you logged in with may be missing the Announcements permission.
- On the Announcement Builder page you'll see a list of any announcements that have been set up previously. You can see their status from here and edit them by clicking on the Edit button to the right or delete them by clicking on the Delete button. You can also sort the list using the Sort By dropdown on the left hand-side. To start a new announcement, click the New Announcement button.
- Next you'll need to fill out a form for the new announcement. At the top of the form you can click the Disabled switch to toggle the announcement to active on your website. You have to fill out the required fields and save it before you can activate it though. You can click on the Start Date and End Date fields to bring up a date picker widget to choose what time frame you'd like your announcement to be active for. The pop-up will automatically become active on the start date and become inactive on the end date if entered. You can also leave these fields blank if you'd like to manually manage this.There's currently no way to set a time of day for announcements to activate / de-activate, just a calendar date. The changes will go into effect at midnight, Pacific time.
- Next you'll choose a format for your announcement using the Text, Image, and Template bubbles. Here's an explanation of what goes into which format:
- Text announcements have a title (Heading), subtitle (Subheading), and body text (Content). You can add some limited text formatting to the message using the word processor controls for each section, and can also add a banner image to go behind the title to make your announcement pop a little more.
- Image announcements have two images: one narrower banner image that displays similarly to the text announcement format, and a larger body image that's meant to be the main content for your announcement. This style of announcement is ideal for when you already have a banner or image that explains your announcement and you just want to embed it in the pop-up.
- Template announcements are pre-formatted announcements that you can pull in and use. There are some built-in examples and you can also set up your own templates to use in your announcements through a separate interface. For more information on building custom templates, click here.
- No matter what announcement type you select, you'll see a set of buttons at the bottom and top of the form that let you save, preview, and collapse (hide) the announcement you're setting up. You must click the Save Changes button at least once before you can preview or activate the announcement. You can also click the Discard button at the bottom left of the form to delete your draft.