Table of Contents
Updated by Randall Theil
Estimated Reading Time: 20 Minutes
Required Permissions: Stats
- Go to stat.dealerspike.com.
- Enter your user name and password and click the Log In button.
- Start a new report by clicking the ellipsis (...) icon to the upper right of any existing report or dashboard and clicking "Create PDF Scheduled Report" or "Create CSV Scheduled report".
- Or start a new report by clicking on the Settings tab, then the Scheduled Reports tab, then the Add New Scheduled Report button.
- Fill out the Create New Scheduled Report page with the info you'd like to be included in the report.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
The Web Stats platform lets you browse through information collected about your site visitors and actions on your site, but you can also set up automated email reports to send you just the information you're interested in about your site on a regular basis without you having to log in. This article will show you how to set up email reports.
There are three ways to set up email reports in Web Stats:
Choosing a Report
- First you can create an email report from any dashboard. You'll see these when you first sign in, or by clicking on the Dashboards tab at the top of the page. If the info you're looking for is already collected on one of these dashboards, just click the ellipsis (...) icon on the right of the dashboard and then on Create PDF Scheduled Report to start setting up the report based on a dashboard.
- You can also set up email reports from many of the tabs on the Reports page. To get there, click on the Reports tab at the top of the page. If a report can be turned into an email report, you'll see the option when you click the ellipsis (...) icon on the right of the report.
- Finally you can create a report from scratch by clicking on the Settings tab at the top of the page, the Scheduled Reports tab on the left, and then on the Add New Scheduled Report button in the upper right.
Creating the Report
No matter how you start the report, you'll wind up on this page where you can choose how to set it up. Here's what all of the options do:
- For File Type, picking PDF will get you a visual report that you can browse on your computer through your browser or email client. Picking CSV will get you a spreadsheet (.csv) file with the info in it that can be imported into a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
- The Name field will be what the report shows up as inside Web Stats.
- The Email Message is text that will appear along with your report emails.
- The Format and Orientation dropdowns give you options for how you'd like the visual report to look when you get it. Format determines how large the report will be and orientation controls whether it will be presented vertically or horizontally. CSV reports don't have these options.
- The Hide Date Range, Segment Information and Hide Filter Information checkboxes will remove those parts from the report so you don't have to see them every time.
- The Choose Segment field allows you to select a particular group of your audience if you've set one up (like Canadian iPhone users). Otherwise the default will include all of your visitors.
- If you check the Compare Date Range to Previous Period box, then your new period's stats will show the positive or negative changes compared with the last report.
- The Row Limit field controls how many rows of data will be shown on tables.
- The Expiration Date field controls when the report will stop being active. Email reports can only be scheduled for a year at a time, so after a year (or whenever you set the expiration date) you'll have to come back in to review and re-activate the report.
- The Frequency dropdown allows you to choose how often you'd like to get the report.
- If you picked a frequency longer than Daily (for example: weekly, monthly, or quarterly) you'll get a Period and Day field to choose when the report is sent out (like the first day of the month / first day of the week).
- If you didn't start the report from a dashboard or report, the Source Selection section allows you to choose what data will actually be included in the report. Under the Report tab you can choose any of the built-in reports to add, or any custom reports you've created (you can have up to 10 individual reports included in a scheduled email report). Otherwise you can click the Dashboard tab to browse through dashboards. You can't combine dashboards and reports in one scheduled email report.
- Finally the Recipients field allows you to put in the email addresses to receive the report.
Once you have the report set up the way you want it, just click the Save button at the bottom of the page to save and activate your report.