Table of Contents
Updated by Randall Theil
Estimated Reading Time: 20 Minutes
Required Permissions: Stats
- Go to stats.dealerspike.com.
- Enter your user name and password and click Log In.
- Click the Goals tab in the upper right.
- Click the Add New Goal button in the lower left.
- Fill out the Add New Goal page with the info for the goal you'd like to track.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
Goals are a kind of conversion tracking that can be set up in Web Stats to count how and when certain actions are performed on a website, like submitting a form or visiting a particular page. Web Stats goals work very similarly to goals in Google Analytics. This page will show you how to set up and manage goals.
- First, go to stats.dealerspike.com (or click on the Web Analytics button under the Digital Marketing tab in your site's admin panel.
- Log in using your username and password for the web stats platform. The username should be an email address. If you don't remember your password, click here for instructions on resetting it.
- After logging in, click the Goals tab at the top of the page.
- Here you'll see any goals that have already been set up for your site. To create a new goal, click the green Add New Goal button on the lower left corner of the screen.If the Add New Goal button is greyed out and you can't click it, your user account may need additional permissions to create and manage goals. Technical Support should be able to give you the permissions you need. For information on contacting Technical Support, click here.
- Now you can configure your goal:
- The Goal Name field at the top will be the title of the goal when it shows up in menus.
- The Event Type dropdown has five options: Visit Page with URL and Visit Page with Title are ways you can set up a goal to trigger based on the user visiting a page with a specific address or page title. You can use this to track visits to a particular page, and tracking with URLs is also used to track form submissions. Click External Link allows you to target a link on your site that goes to an external destination (like social media pages or a part manufacturer). Send Custom Event and File Download are generally not going to be relevant for Dealer Spike sites.
- The condition field is where you specify the URL, title, or external website URL you'd like to match to trigger the goal. The dropdown on the left will allow you to select between needing an exact match for the URL / title (URL / Title is exactly), allowing a match if the text on the right appears anywhere in the URL / title (URL / Title contains), or whether you'd like to match the URL / title based on a regular expression pattern. Regular expressions have challenging syntax and are only recommended for experienced web developers.
- The Case Sensitive Match checkbox controls whether the URL or title you're tracking will trigger a goal whether the text being matched is capitalized or not. Leaving this unchecked is almost always the safest option to avoid missing goals.
- Under Advanced Settings you can check the Allow Multiple Goals per Session checkbox to allow the goal to trigger multiple times for an individual user (normally it will only track the first time a user meets the goal conditions during a session.) You can also put in a dollar value under Assign Revenue to Goal Conversion ($) if you'd like to measure goals with estimated revenue gained from the measured activity.
- When the goal has been set up to your satisfaction, click the Save button at the bottom to register the goal in the system.It will generally take 24 hours after creation before you'll start to see data coming in for a new goal, so don't panic if it seems like it isn't tracking initially.
Using Goals to Track Form Submissions
One of the primary uses for web stats goals is conversion tracking for the forms on your website. If you'd like to track a form's submissions, you'll want to use the URL Contains condition when setting up the goal, and put the text from the Tracking URL column below in the text field:
Get Quote - Inquiry
New Rider Inquiry
Schedule Test Ride
Send to friend